Seed of Inspiration
Each Wednesday, we will bring you a writing from a seedy woman. Plant this seed within to sustain your energy for the march that remains ahead...
“The Period Poem” by Dominique Christina
If you would like to read the transcript of this poem, click here.
Seed of Action
Today is our third "Wallet Wednesday," wherein we encourage you to make a small donation to an organization that works empowers women. We promise, therefore, to refrain from asking donations from you as Action Seeds for the rest of the week. Last week, with your help, we were able to raise more than $200 for the YWCA. Let's try to do even better this week by getting more marchers to participate! So grab your wallet friends, and give as you are able on this Wallet Wednesday! We also have wallet alternatives listed below as well. ;-)
Dominique Christina reminded us in her poem that every woman should be able to maintain her dignity, even when menstruating, and so in that spirit, for this Wallet Wednesday, we're highlighting the organization I Support the Girls that believes, "A woman shouldn’t have to choose between feeding herself and her personal health." A shout out to fellow marcher Jenn Thomas for suggesting this organization!
From their website:
Support the Girls collects and distributes donations of new/used bras and new sealed packages of tampons and maxi pads to homeless women and girls across North America (and in 4 locations worldwide). Women and girls who find themselves homeless shouldn’t have to worry about finding bras, much less proper menstrual products. Yet they wear the same bra for years (causing health problems) and each month have to make a choice between paying for meals or buying a box of tampons. Every woman should have the ability to maintain her dignity! This is our mission- to restore dignity and self-respect to thousands of women. In the last 12 months, 85,000 bras and 400,000 menstrual hygiene products have been collected and distributed worldwide.
Here are some ways you can give to I Support the Girls:
- Grab your wallet and donate to their Crowdrise campaign to help them grow and provide much needed help to thousands of women and girls across North America. Make sure you put "Seeds to Scatter" in the comment field.
- If you cannot donate monitarily, here are some alternative seeds to scatter:
- Purge your drawers and mail your sealed menstrual products and new/gently used bras to: Support the Girls, Attn: Dana Marlowe, P.O. Box 2736, Wheaton, Maryland, 20915
- To save on postage, find your nearest I Support the Girls nearest dropoff location. There are 42 drop-off sites and affiliate locations in the United States, and even several overseas. Check their website for more information.
- Start a drive for menstrual products and/or bras in your church, congregation, mosque, community, civic group, workplace, school, club, or campus. Or simply ask your friends and family on social media to drop their bras off at your house like Dana initially did. Then drop off your donations at the nearest I Support the Girls dropoff location or homeless shelter.
We estimate that we have scattered over 30,000 seeds of love and action so far! We're almost 2/3rds of the way there, so keep at it! You're doing great! And don't worry if you've missed a day; you're always welcome back because every seed counts!
Show us your seeds! Share with us images and stories of you scattering seeds by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org, posting on our Facebook page, or sending us a tweet @seedstoscatter!
And above all, scatter with love!