Seed of Inspiration
Each Thursday, for "Throwback Thursday," we'll bring you a biography from a seedy woman who made herstory by doing something of which it can be said, "nevertheles, she persisted." Plant this seed of inspiration within you to sustain your energy for the march we have yet ahead...
(It is important to acknowledge that it impossible to know today whether this story -- as the video presents -- is a story of a woman who disguised herself as man simply in order to pursue her dreams of being a surgeon, or if this is actually a story of a transgender man who was a surgeon. We don't know the gender identity of the doctor because gender identity was not something that was acknowledged in the 1800s. Regardless, the story shows remarkable courage, talent, and pioneering. Read more about Dr. James Barry - Margaret Bulkley on Herstory.)
Seed of Action
This Thursday, we're asking you to thank someone who has stood up for women's health. Here are some ideas to get you started to scatter some seeds of thankfulness to those who support Women's Health on this "Thank You Thursday."
- If your representative did not support the recent proposed repeal of Obamacare that would have taken away healthcare and special coverage for you and/or millions of women -- and men -- across the country, mail him/her a thank you note, give them a call, or message them through an app like Countable.us.
- If you received excellent care from a healthcare provider at Planned Parenthood in the past, them publicly by showing your support for Planned Parenthood by changing your profile picture with this handy widget on the Planned Parenthood website that adds a frame saying, "I stand with PP."
- Write a thank you card to your healthcare provider thanking them for the way they cared for you and your health in the past.
- Send a thank you card with a picture of your child to the ob/gyn, doula, or midwife who delivered your child so s/he can the life s/he helped bring into the world.
- Call or write a representative, public servant, or an activist who has worked tirelessly for Women's Health, and thank them for their efforts.
Show us your seeds! Share with us images and stories of you scattering seeds -- like your thank you note today! -- by emailing me at email@example.com, posting on our Facebook page, or sending us a tweet @seedstoscatter!
And above all, scatter with love!