Seed of Inspiration
Each Monday, we'll bring you some empowering music done by women to get your work week going.
This week, we're giving you the one and only, Beyonce. A feminist, a womanist, and one of the most innovative artists of our time. No treatment of modern feminist music would be complete without without including her. Many of us saw her stunningly beautiful performance at the Grammy's where she was the physical embodiment of motherhood, wearing a gold crown that echoed the crown of the Statue of Liberty pictured above. Here's another amazing performance of hers below from the 2016 BET Awards, singing "Freedom" with Kendrick Lamar from her visual album "Lemonade." In her groundbreaking and award-winning album (purchasable on iTunes), the visual component of "Freedom" opens with the mothers of Eric Garner, Michael Brown and Trayvon Martin looking on. Throughout the stunning film, you will be amazed by her beautiful and raw statements about gender, race, class, relationships, and womanism. Enjoy!
Read the lyrics of "Freedom" by clicking here.
Seed of Action
Today, we ask you to take five minutes to scatter one or more of the 8 seeds below to grow love for black lives on behalf of the mothers of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, and the other African-American men and women who died at the hands of police, in police custody, or from gun violence.
- Inform Yourself:
- Take one of the Harvard Implicit Association study tests. This seed does take about 10 minutes. There are many versions. You may want to take the "race" or "skin color" version. This is one way we can learn about our own biases
- Purchase and place in your reading cue the #1 New York Times Bestseller and National Book Award Winning book, Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
- Watch the new film I Am Not Your Negro.
- Ally Yourself:
- Connect with Black Lives Matter and/or a local chapter of it by joining their email list and/or following them on Facebook and/or Twitter.
- For white allies, connect with Showing Up for Racial Justice and/or your state's chapter by joining their email list and/or following them on Facebook and/or Twitter.
- For mothers, join Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and/or your state's chapter joining their email list and/or following them on Facebook and/or Twitter.
- Speak Out:
- Visit the Black Lives Matter's "Vision for Black Lives: Policy Demands for Black Power, Freedom and Justice." Scroll down and pick one demand and a new window will open. Inform yourself about this demand before contacting your congressperson by calling, mailing a letter, or emailing them.
- Learn and practice how to speak up to racism when you see and hear it by clicking here.
We estimate 20,756 seeds have been scattered so far! You are AMAZING for sticking with it!
Keep us posted on your seedy adventures by emailing your pics or stories to firstname.lastname@example.org, posting on our Facebook page, or sending us an Instagram or Tweet @seedstoscatter and we'll share it with your fellow marchers!
I will have limited access to internet through March 18, so please forgive me if I'm not quick to respond!
And above all, scatter with love!