Seed of Inspiration
Each Tuesday, will be "Talent Tuesday," where we will feature the talents of seedy female artists speaking truth to power.
This week we are bringing you a series of illustrations titled "Women" by Brazilian artist Carol Rossetti. Each installment features a different woman from a different place around the world facing a different obstacle and persisting. Rossetti said, "It’s mostly about our freedom to express our identities and to make our own life choices. It should be something very simple, but we judge and are judged for all our personal choices – it happens all the time time. Ever since I was little I saw this kind of situation, and I find it really damaging to our self-acceptance, so I decided to draw about it, always trying to keep a positive message."
Seed of Action
We live in a society and culture that largely determines a woman's worth by how she looks. There are small seeds however that you can plant to grow a culture of true beauty. Pick one or more seeds below and commit to planting it:
- Does the scale in your house make you or someone in your family feel anxious or bad about themselves? Then throw it out.
- Go in your closet and Goodwill anything that is painful for you to wear like high heels, too-tight pants, or suffocating shape-wear. You know the old saying, "Beauty is pain?" Nope. Nope. Nope.
- Compliment 3 people today on their beauty whom society would not put on a magazine cover.
- Patronize body-positive companies like Dove, Modcloth, Dear Kate, or Aerie.
- Change the conversation today -- and every day -- if it turns to judging a woman or girl's appearance or clothing.
- Wear -- or don't wear -- whatever you want, and allow other women to do the same.
- Do not purchase magazines or visit websites that make money off of scrutinizing women's bodies or clothing choices.
- In the check-out aisle of the grocery store or on magazine stands, flip over tabloids that body-shame celebrities who have gained weight.
We estimate 22,820 seeds have been scattered so far! Your seeds will grow for years to come!
Keep us posted on your seedy adventures by emailing your pics or stories to firstname.lastname@example.org, posting on our Facebook page, or sending us an Instagram or Tweet @seedstoscatter and we'll share it with your fellow marchers!
I will have limited access to internet through March 18, so please forgive me if I'm not quick to respond!
And above all, scatter with love!