4 more days of seed-scattering to go!
You've got this! One foot in front of the other! Just a few more seeds to scatter!
Seed of Inspiration
Each Tuesday, we have brought you art from a talented woman who's work speaks truth to power. Plant this seed within to sustain your energy for the march that lies yet ahead...
For our last Talent Tuesday, I was going through my Pinterest board of all the feminist art I've pinned debating what to share with you, and I thought, "why don't I just give them the whole board?" So that's what I'm doing friends. I'm sharing with you my whole seedy board of feminist art. If you keep scrolling, you'll find links to lots of brainstorming material that did and didn't make it into the blog too, like self care practices, articles, and more. If you're not a Pinterest user, but you have a google/gmail account, you can just log in with that. If you have neither, hopefully you can get a sneak peak with the widget below, but my coding skills -- as we saw earlier in the march -- are iffy!
Seed of Action
When I saw that the Women's March website is calling on all its participants to register to vote this week, I realized it's silly of me to assume that all 1,032 of you are registered to vote, so today our seeds of action will center on registration. As we have seen in several presidential elections in the past decades, we know that every vote counts. What's more, every non-vote counts as well. Many Americans vote in presidential elections, but most of us sit out on the local elections that will have the most direct impact on our daily lives. We must all register to vote, ecourage others to register, educate ourselves about the candidates and issues, and when election days come around, we must show up! So choose one or more of the following seeds of action adapted from www.womensmarch.com:
- First and foremost, if you know you aren't registered, it takes about 2 minutes and you can do so through the Womens March website by clicking this link.
- If you're not sure if you're registered, if its expired, or if you think it might be under the wrong address, check your voter registristration status by following this link.
- "Reach even more people by hosting a voter registration drive in your community, setting up a table at local events/organizations (e.g., high school sporting event, supermarket, college campus, concert, community gathering, etc), or canvassing door-to-door in your neighborhood. Click here to download the Voter Registration Drive Field Guide. [If you live in the state of Texas, you can volunteer to become a Volunteer Deputy Voter Registrar. Check your county for the next available training.]
- "Know your party affiliation and voter registration laws. If you want to support new candidates for office during primaries, you may be required by your state to register with a party. Find out more about your state’s requirements here. In 2017 many state legislatures are introducing restrictive voting laws that disproportionately impact minorities. See if your state is one of them.
- "Mark your calendars for the next election, local or state. Find out upcoming dates by entering your state here. And get ready for the midterm elections on November 6, 2018!" -- www.womensmarch.org
- Donate a social media post by downloading and sharing any of these Womens March "Hear Our Vote" graphics to get the word out:
My love notes will be different for our final week. I'll be sharing a seed of wisdom and a seed of gratitude that I have picked up along our march. I hope you share yours with us by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org, posting them on our Facebook page, or tweeting them @seeedstoscatter!
Seed of Wisdom: I have learned that self-care should be a daily -- not weekly -- practice for everyone, especially activists. If there's one thing that I've done better at preaching to you than practicing these past 36 days, its self-care. I used to spend my evenings reading to my kids, walking my dogs, meditating, and watching TV with my husband. Since March 1st, however, I've spent most evenings in front of a blue screen with you beautiful people! It has been a priviledge and a labor of love, but I didn't set it up in a way that I found time for both seeds and my normal self-care routines, and I'm noticing the effects of that in my life. I keep thinking I can find a way to muscle through life without self-care, and life keeps teaching me otherwise!
Seed of Gratitude: I am so grateful to each one of you who have sent me seeds! I have loved hearing from you the songs, writings, artists, videos, and work you have found inspiring! An extra big thank you to those of you who were courageous enough to submit your own seeds! I couldn't have done this without you. And please, keep them coming. This is not the end of S2S, so I'm still hoarding seeds for the future. Whenever you come across something and think, "hey, that would be a great seed!" -- whether that be for the blog or our social media -- send it my way at email@example.com or via our Facebook page.
And above all... scatter with love!