Yesterday afternoon, I stopped by my pharmacy. I stepped up to the counter to see a new pharmacist: she was a glowing woman in a white coat, with a tiny nose stud, and her grey hair was streaked pink and tied up with silk flowers. She smiled at me, cocked her head to one side and said, "You look so cute today!" I had to look down at what I was wearing -- I had honestly forgotten. I had no make up on (except for some tinted moisturizer), and I had thrown on a hand-me-down dress from my sister, some second-hand cowboy boots I scored at a consignment shop, and some enormous earrings I've had since college. As usual, I had been walking around feeling like a frumpy mom in old clothes, but this awesome woman with pink hair planted a seed in me, and suddenly I thought, "ya... I do look kinda cute, don't I?"
Seed of Inspiration
Grab your popcorn because each Friday, we'll bring you a short film by some seedy women.
Seed of Action
On Monday, a new executive order was signed banning migrants from 6 majority Muslim Countries. As Cody Wofsy from ACLU says, "The new executive order is a major retreat by the administration, reflecting that, as courts around the country have recognized, the original order was deeply flawed and totally unjustified. But the fundamental truth of this new order, like the old one, remains unchanged: The president promised to ban Muslims from the United States, and the ban is his attempt to make good on that unconstitutional and indefensible goal."
Not only does this ban make our country less safe by sowing discord between us and other nations, it cruelly shuts out refugees seeking asylum, feeds discrimination, and opposes the American values inscribed upon the Statue of Liberty.
Take a few minutes to pick one or more seeds below to scatter to help grow a resistance against the ban:
- Reach out in love to the Muslims in your life. Ask them how they are doing. Listen with empathy. Encourage them not to leave the country for their own safety.
- Contact your representatives and demand they oppose the Executive Order as well as any renewal of it after 120 days by going to www.callmycongress.com or www.countable.us.
- Donate a post on Facebook, tiwtter, or Instagram post using the hashtags #MuslimBan and #SeedstoScatter and @[yourrepresentative]
- Call upon your religious leaders to unequivocally denounce this Executive Order. Such actions are not in line with any faith. Period.
- Patronize these companies that have publically denounced the Executive Order. Tweet @[companyhandle] thanking them for their integrity.
- Donate any amount to organizations like the ACLU, Council on American Islamic Relations, National Immigration Law Center, or the International Refugee Assistance Project.
We estimate 16,624 seeds of love and action have been scattered so far! Keep it up!
Don't forget to show us your seeds! Email your pics and/or stories to email@example.com, post them on our Facebook page, or send us a tweet @seedstoscatter.
And above all, scatter with love.